5456 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk Migration

Lopez_4
Occasional Contributor

Disk Migration

Hello,

I am planning a disk migration on a DL380 G3 to improve disk performance. The current configuration has 3 disks in one array RAID5 in simplex mode with SA6400 (All drives connected to same channel). Arrays composed of 2 logical drives: System and Data.

New configuration would be SA-6400 PCI Duplex mode. 6 New disks will be used. 2 disks in RAID0+1 (system)on 1st channel and 4 disk in RAID5 (DB Oracle) on second channel.

My plans consist in:
- backing up the original drives data and system.

- Place 6 new disks while keeping old 3 drives for backup plan.

- Reconfigure new arrays as above.

- Install OS and restore System and DATA onto the new arrays and drives from performed backup.

Now my questions are as following:

- Is my plan "doable" ?

- Is this a good configuration for better performance while using more scsi channels, more disk and different RAID levels ?

- Restoring System data to same logical drive, would it cause issue since physical drives have changed ? (Boot.ini , SCSI ID ... etc)

Thanks in advance for giving a second opinion.
2 REPLIES 2
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Migration

all HW steps is "doable"

SW steps depend what you select for tools
Backup or Image

Here is something for research or ask question
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/familyhome.do?familyId=422

e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Migration

In my opinion, your plan is the perferred configuration. The OS on a mirrored set and the data/programs on a RAID set, since the OS does not need to grow, needing a more speedy and stable environment and the data and programs needs to be able to easily grow without concern for the OS.

My only concern would be the same as yours. In my opinion, your plan is the preferred configuration. The OS on a mirrored set and the data/programs on a RAID set, since the OS does not need to grow, needing a more speedy and stable environment and the data and programs needs to be able to easily grow without concern for the OS. If I had a dollar for ever customer that tells us their disk is full and they want to expand the logical drive that also includes the OS. This may be fine for a desktop system, but not for a volatile working environment. But these customers are typically working with a small company mail server that has a single logical drive with Windows and Exchange all installed in the single logical drive. Ouch!

My only concern would be the same as yours. Your decision to leave the old disks in place will change the disk IDs and the OS changing of the logical drive IDs and how will the OS restore and the Oracle restore respond to a change in location and ID.
I would remove the existing setup intact. This gives you a fall back at least to the old system if something 'goes wrong'. Install all the new drives. Configure the logical drives, OS first, data second, so the logical drive order is restored to the old appearance, 2 logical drives, 2 partitions, C and D for example. Restore the OS and restore the data and see if there are any problems.
Hot Swap Hard Drives