1753265 Members
5703 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Performance

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Disk Performance

I have 8 DL380's with the integrated smart controller and RAID 1, all set up with Smart Smart and Windows 2000, and some more with NT 4.0
I have very noticable disk slowness copying files, or even setting permissions on Files, and users notice a big difference from being on the dell servers we migrated from.

I used the registry setting
LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\IoPageLockLimit
and this helped, is there anything else I can do to speed these disks up besides not mirroring? I do have one with no mirroring, and it still gets toasted by the dell servers
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Hello
keep in mind that while your drives may be ultra 3..and the cable you are using may be ultra 3, AND the integrated controller is ultra 3 compatible it only runs at ultra 2 speeds...its the architecture of the system that restricts this...if you went from ultra 3 speeds on the dell to this config then yes you will notice a diff..if however you put an ultra 3 controller such as a 431 or 5300 in there it will significantly increase disk perf
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I just purchased 2 DL380's and am experiencing the same issue. It is NOT that it's performing at ultra 2 speed. IT IS DOG SLOW!. I am upgrading from a Proliant 5000. The backup of my data 32 GB took 2 /12 hours. The rate that the DL380 was restoring would have taken 17 hours! Whats up? There has to be a problem. Please help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello,

we do not use the integrated controller, we use the Smart Array controller 5300, but in some few things these controllers might behave in the same way.

In the configuration software for this array controller you can find an option "Use Controller Cache". If this option is disabled (we have had it once with new delivered DL580!!!) the harddisc-speed is dramatically slow!.

Hope this helps and best rgards,

Ralf1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have a new DL380G2 and am having horrible performance issues. I am using the integrated 5i controller in a raid 5 configuration. Any help would be appreciated.