1753850 Members
7632 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Read Error after converting to NTFS

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Disk Read Error after converting to NTFS

The machine setup is a Proliant 3000 with (7) 4.3GB Wide Ultra SCSI HDs set up in a RAID 5 configuration. When I first tried installing Windows 2000 with a single 24GB partition as NTFS, it gave me "A disk error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." I then tried installing Windows 2000 with a single 24GB partition as FAT. It work correctly. I installed SP2 and the latest support paq. In Windows, I converted the 24GB FAT to NTFS. After the system rebooted, I was once again greeted with "A disk error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." Is there any way around this limitation?
4 REPLIES 4
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

i take it you converted the partition via the disk manager?
if so the process that I have done before and know works is to do it from a command prompt instead
convert C:\ fs:ntfs
it will then say that on the next reboot it will convert it
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Robert Lindkvist
Occasional Advisor

Yes I have same problem, as U. When I install w2k server in FAT32 works oki, Bu so fast I convert to NTFS I get same error like U get. so let me now how u get it rund this problem...
nino_3

I had this same problem with a Proliant 1850R. I am using 4 9GB SCSI drives using a Smary Array controller. I simply did a FAT 32 format and it worked great.

FYI
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

Check out this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222996&Product=win2000

If that seems to be your problem, consider confirming you have the latest BIOS and firmwares from here before re-installing:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1112.html

If that works, as a finishing touch, install PSP 7.0 from the above link.

HTH

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger