ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751894 Members
5419 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Upgrade on Proliant Cl 380 Server

Steve McIntyre

Disk Upgrade on Proliant Cl 380 Server

I need to perform a hard disk upgrade on a proliant CL 380 server (with CR3500 SCSI controllers), running clustering on W2K Advanced Server.

I thought that by replacing the hard disks one at a time and reconstucting the logical drives I could then create new logical drives with the spare capacity on the replacement hard disks.

When I go into the CR3500 configuration utility and try to create a new logical drive it doesn't allow me to select any of the new hard disks.

Is my thinking incorrect or can anyone shed any light on the best way to perform this hard disk upgrade.
6 REPLIES 6
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Steve,

The way I understand this is as below:

1. By upgrading the disks with higher capacity one at a time, you have added more space to the existing array. So, at the successful completion of this step, at the array level, you should see unassigned space [this would be equal to the additional space you just added].

2. You should then extend your array [if the controller supports it] to occupy this additional space. Note, this is not an OS level operation.

3. At the successful completion of step 2, you should then use OS level tools such as dynamic disk "span volume" or Diskpart tool for basic disks to extend your OS level logical volumes/partition.

hope this helps,

regards

Antonio Luiz de Oliveir
Frequent Advisor

Hi! The problem is that when you add a disk with a different size (greater) in an existing array, it's recognized by the controller with the same size of the others. Ex.: If you add a disk with 18.2 Gb in an array with 3 disks of 9 Gb space, it'll be recognized as a 9 Gb disk. all the left space is lost. The only manner to do it is backup, make a new logical drive and restore data.

Junior
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Antonio,

Sorry, this may be true for a certain family of array controllers such as HSG80s, etc, but on Smart Array controller, array expansion is supported.

Antonio Luiz de Oliveir
Frequent Advisor

Sorry Saked, but I think it's a mistake.
The left space will not be available to use.

best regards.

Junior
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

I agree with Antonio, when there is a configuration of 3 disks in a logical drive of 9GB each and you try to add additional disks of 18GB to the same logical drive, the 18GB disks can only use 9GB each then.

It's different when you create a second logical drive with only 18GB disks. Then no space will be wasted.
Bram van Dartel
Advisor

Ow yeah, backup and restore data is the best solution... Make an image and restore it to the new configuration.