5389 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk Write Failure on Large Files

Ryan Comparato
Occasional Advisor

Disk Write Failure on Large Files

Hello,

I have a couple of DL380 g4's serving files and as a SQL server. For the past 6 months I back the sql server up over the network to the file server which backs itself up and the database every night. This has never been a problem. Now when I try to back up the sql server, it fails. If I back it up to another DL380 its fine. If I back it up to the one in question, it pretty much locks the server up at some point along the way and causes it to fail. The file server is unresponsive when this happens. It may take 3gigs worth or 10gigs worth of data before theis happens, but it happens every time.

What could be causing this all of a sudden? If I back the database file up to another server and pull it over to the file server it makes it. Juswt not when the file is pushed over from the db server.

Array controller issue maybe? I have run all the updates, service packs, support packs to no avail.

Thanks,
Ryan
3 REPLIES 3
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Re: Disk Write Failure on Large Files

Hi Ryan

If the problem happens only when data is pulled from SQL server, it could be issue of database inconsistency as well since file size has grown over last 6 months. Perform database consistency checks.

It could also be an issue with Network errors. Try isolating the network path for SQL server like patch cord, port on switch etc..

Regards
Mahesh
Ryan Comparato
Occasional Advisor

I just tested pushing the file to the server from another machine and it fails. If I pull the file over it works. Ideas?
Ryan Comparato
Occasional Advisor

It seems the issue is only when pushing to the file server from any other server. Puling the file over works fine?