New Discussion юеВ

Disk access from B110i SATA RAID Controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karsten Stolten

Disk access from B110i SATA RAID Controller

Hi!

I have an issue that need help with.

I have an HP Proliant DL180 G6 server with Windows Server 2003 istalled on 1 disk. SATA RAID functioanlity is disabled at the moment. So there is no RAIDing involved. I also have a second disk that stores data files.

Now I want to install a new OS (Windows Server 2008 R2 x64) on two new 1TB disks that i have mirrored (RAID 0+1). I also want the two old disks to be mounted into the new OS so that I can copy data from them.

However my problem is, that when I enabled the RAID functionality, the two "standalone" disks cannot be mounted within the new OS.

So my question is - why cant I see the old disks in the new OS? Shouldn't it be possible when the old disks are not RAIDed?

Kind regards
K Stolten
7 REPLIES 7
SMR
Valued Contributor

Re: Disk access from B110i SATA RAID Controller

My blind answer having no experience on the Windows side of this issue is that the OS is now loading the RAID driver for the controller, thus the controller (now RAID enabled) only presents Logical volumes to the OS, your old drives do not belong to any logical volume and so they're insivible to the OS (pretty much like unassigned drives on higher grade Smart Array controllers)

Those are my thoughts on the matter :)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

The RAID "controller" is not data compatible with the SATA "Controller"

You will find the same issue, on the first generation of the DL/ML 300 and 500 series.

They had embbeded dual channel SCSI controllers. And a socket for ROC (RAID On a Chip).
Without ROC, it was a standt SCSI Controller.
If you installed the ROC, It was a smart array controller. The Smart Array Controller is not data compatible, with any other disk controller.

There's no easy way out.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Karsten Stolten

Hi there!

Thank's alot for your input on this matter!

SMR ->
The disks that I'm trying to access (with the old data) was/is not an array. They are single volume disks - as plain as they come. So I guess they should really be driver independent.

gregersenj ->
Wasn't the answer I was hoping for - thus somehow expected it.
So I couldn't eaven take the disks and mount them in - say an SATA External HDD cabinet and the access the data that way?

BR
Karsten
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I will guess, you can put the old disk's on any standard SATA controller. And get access to the old data.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

SMR
Valued Contributor

Like gregersenj mentioned, you would have to put them (old disks) on a standard SATA controller, I guess what I meant was your controller is not a standard SATA controller anymore ever since you enabled RAID on it.
Karsten Stolten

Hi guys!

Thank's again for your feedback!

I will try to get access to the data through another controller!

BR
Karsten
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

You're Welcome.

Good luck :)

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo