6297 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk failure in a raid 5 array on compaq 6400r

SOLVED
Go to solution
vijay_64

Disk failure in a raid 5 array on compaq 6400r

One of the compaq 18gb disk failed on one of the production servers. i read that i can replace the failed disk with a new hard disk. My questions:
1. can I swap the disk when the system is powered on?
2. I have a spare disk from a different server which has data on it. will the rebuild take place if i replace the filed disk with the disk from different machine.

I would appreciate if you can help me fix the problem.
2 REPLIES 2
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Vijay:

Yes you can hot swap the drive with the system up so long as the array is managed by a Smart Array Controller. If this is a software RAID (i.e., built with the O/S) then you have to do a few things manually.

If this drive is on a SmartArray Controller then when you install any new disk in the place of the dead drive, then array controller will rebuild the data. If there was data on the drive you use to replace the dead one with, all the data that was there is now gone.

Here is a document that should help you in the rebuild of the server:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/proliantstorage/drives-enclosures/hp%20hard%20drive%20replacement.pdf

Hope this helps! -john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
e4services
Honored Contributor

We and HP recommend that you wipe the old disk before you insert it as a replacement for a failed RAID drive. The existance of old RAID configuration info on the drive can only confuse the controller and may trigger roaming features.
Hot Swap Hard Drives