New Discussion юеВ

Diskpart query

SOLVED
Go to solution
PaulD_1
Advisor

Diskpart query

Hi!

We have unused disk space in Disk Manager located directly after the c:\ logical drive on our Windows 2003 server (Raid1). Presumably the operating system must have been installed without using the whole available space. Can Diskpart be used to extend the partition and make use of the additional space? Are their any considerations to be aware of?

Presumably once logical drive is selected using Diskpart we just use the extend command?

Many thanks in advanced!
3 REPLIES 3
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Diskpart query

Paul,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590
"Only the extension of data volumes is supported. System or boot volumes may be blocked from being extended..."
From my experience most likely you will get error when you try to extend disk C:

If you want to try :
run diskpart from cmd.exe
Do following commands:
-list volume
-select volume 1 (usually C: is volume 1)
-extend

Of course, you can create new logical disk on unused disk space

PaulD_1
Advisor

I should have checked this firstly but many thanks for coming back to me. Dont think that I will chance it!
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Paul,

done this on a IA64 server but the key thing is to boot from the W2K3 SP1 installation CDrom and go into the recovery console, this way the real Windows OS is not up and running and you can change the c:\ disk in size.

Using the very same diskpart, select and extend commands allows you to enlarge the c:\ disk without any problem.
Once the extend is done, reboot and let it boot into the real Windows OS from hard disk again and you're done.

I've done this more then half a year ago and the server still runs perfect with a larger c:\ disk drive, saved me a reinstall and re-config and patching etc etc.

HTH

Kris