cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dissimilar RAID members for rebuild

moxxy
Occasional Visitor

Dissimilar RAID members for rebuild

Can anyone please help me with the following RAID rebuild problem?

I have a Proliant DL 380 G4 which recently lost a drive fro ma RAID 5 array with 4 disks . The drives in this array are all Model BD1468A4B5 with Firmeware of HPB8 (all original from Purchase) I ordered a replacement drive from a non HP vendor and they swear it is comaptible with the other drives. The new drive BD14689BB9 Firmware HPB1 is new and ready for use. My question is if I can use this drive as is or do I need to go through any special procedures like updaing BIOS, Firmware etc, which I don't believe have ever been performed. My fear is that adding this drive as is to the array will break the already fragile array.

Thank you
Moxxy

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

1 REPLY
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Re: Dissimilar RAID members for rebuild

The HPB8 is an old Firmware revision, and I would hesitate to use a drive with such an ancient FW as HPB1 in an existing array.

I think HPBC is the latest edition for these drives(We don't use that many 146GB drives any more. These are the SCSI320 10K models, I believe. We just phased out our old MSA1000 SAN which was full of them. )

Download a Firmware Maintenance CD and this FW:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-99f4737498844c538cc1b2c49c〈=en&cc=us&idx=1&mode=4&

You may consider updating whatever else exists of Firmware on the server at the same time. (If you have to reboot it anyway... )