cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dl145 G3 Unofficial Quad Core.

Drew R.
Occasional Visitor

Dl145 G3 Unofficial Quad Core.

So I think I misunderstood some data I came upon.

""f HP DL145 G3 quad-core boxes,"
"yeah…the old boxes were dual CPU, and the new ones are dual quad CPUs."

http://www.kitchensoap.com/2007/08/20/making-a-site-faster-by-removing-machines/#comments

I think in hindsite he meant to say was dual cpus for a total of core cores.

While
[quote]AMD Opteron Revision F (Rev F) processors, introduced in 2006, support quad-core upgradeability. Quad-core upgradeability means that Revision F sockets are pin-compatible with and will support quad-core processors within the same power and thermal envelopes. The upgrade strategy for Rev F servers is outlined in Table 1-2.

Table 1-2. ProLiant server platforms that can be upgraded to quad-core AMD Opteron Rev F processors"
DL145 G3
End of life, no upgrade available. [/quote]

Which I interpreted as use at your own risk since it made no mention of any of the socket f systems needing a bios update unlike the xeon.

Has anyone unofficially gotten a generation 3 quad core to work? Preferably a Shanghai core. If so can you give your settings?

Tried one and I'm not getting a post.LMK. If not I got a good enough deal on this cpu to return for generation 2 cpus. And off the forum if someone knows of a unofficial or beta bios that may enable support, Im game. Please let me know.
4 REPLIES
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Dl145 G3 Unofficial Quad Core.

Hello,
there is very marginal diference between amd dual cores and quad cores. We run 4-cores (83xx) suitable for BL685cG5 without any problem in BL685cG1. We just do not have AMD Dual Dynamic Power Management working what is only real difference between motherboards. Anyway, they use the same bios in our case, so just make sure you have latest bios in place. I think you can run some 23xx opterons, but it depends if bios will recognize them (is quite old - from 2007 and 23xx were released later.)
If you have a free 23xx, go on and test it.

Jan
Drew R.
Occasional Visitor

Thanks. Yes, the last bios is before any of the quad cores were released. So I believe I need a micro-code update for the bios beyond the one year bios support HP provided on this hardware.

I have a Shanghai 8376 and it will not boot. From what I have been told, a 8000 would still work on a 2way system. So this leaves it to lack of Bios support unless this is a (unlikely) a dud cpu.

Coreboot is being a hassle with compiling and I'm unsure it would still support the newer chips as the only inclusion I can see for the dl145 in the database is for AMD-V support.

Currently going to try to see if I can use the Phoenix Bios Editor along with trying to extract the microcode update section of the DL165 as it uses still the serverworks chipset (though unsure if its still using Phoenix). Then using a hexeditor to insert the microcode from the dl165 into the 145. I better keep an extra flash chip on hand (gulp!).

If anyone has experience in such matter, (or again has already created something) please feel free to contact me.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Ahh, very interesting try... let us know...

btw, isn't it "cheeper" buy newer HP Amd server like dl165 g6-g7 ?

Jan
Drew R.
Occasional Visitor

I HAVE A CUSTOM BIOS THAT WORKS I NEED SOMEONE TO TEST.

I need some help if someone has a dl145 g3 and newer Opterons that are not in a mission critical state.

I have spent the last few days creating a custom bios. I updated the CPU microcode and the AGESA section in the HP to the latest for Socket 7. The system boots up fine. It however still will not post with the newer quad cpu I have.

I don't have another Opteron system here to test against to see if possibly this Opteron 8376 is bad. Can one of you guinea pig testing a Quad or Six core with same voltage area (IE HE's probably be best)? Email me and I will get you the mod bios to try. drew atsymbol redhillgames thedot com

Of course it goes without saying no guarantees. I will however do a gentlemans agreement for whomever does guinea pig the CPUs. That if it does brick your system with this flash. I will pay to get you a new flashrom.

Again. I want to point out I have already flashed my own with it with no issues. Other than the apparent none change in seeing the newer CPU. Hell who knows maybe updating the AGESA enabled AMD-V (don't use so cant test).

FWIW. I also updated the Serverwerks ide from 3.00015.7 to 3.00015.8. in this bios.