ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752590 Members
4126 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dl360g4 w. 4gb memory, am I getting the runaround here?

wijnands
Occasional Contributor

Dl360g4 w. 4gb memory, am I getting the runaround here?

I got several DL360g4 servers with 4gb memory. All memory modules are installed correctly according to insight diagnostics. However windows only sees 3,5gb. Logged a support call and got http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=397634&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397634&objectID=PSD_EL041214_CW01
To me the explanation in the article sounds unlikely.

However, my servers are on bios P52 dated 12/02/2004, which, according to the article, should be new enough that I shouldn't be seeing this problem. I'm going to enable /PAE and see what happens.

I also heard from a collegue that he has strange memory problems on a DL360 with 6gb memory. HP won't take a call on that because there's kingston memory in that server.

Does anyone have any views on this?
3 REPLIES 3
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

Enable PAE... the Intel Chipset limitation is accurate. I encountered it quite often at a previous customer site.

What exactly is "strange memory problems"? If your friend wants to test his RAM he can always use this: http://www.memtest86.com/. It's a pretty comprehensive test suite. I've used it a lot at home when tweaking memory timings on custom built systems.
"Did you get that memo?"
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

That is the fix you are looking for. It's been asked about many times here in the forums.

To edit your boot.ini file, right click "My Computer" and select properties. Select the "Advanced" tab and click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section. Click the edit button in the System Startup section and add /PAE to the line that specifies your OS.

Save, close and reboot.

You should see 4GB after reboot.

What version of windows are you running?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

You already have a solution for your self in the link mentioned in your post.

CUSTOMER ADVISORY
Document ID: EL041214_CW01
Version: 3
Not All Physical Memory May Be Reported By The Operating System On Certain HP ProLiant Servers
PAE will do it without any issues.

Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible