1753490 Members
5076 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dl580 G5 wont boot

yavimaya401
Collector

Dl580 G5 wont boot

so i have a DL580 G5 that was working fine. i moved it to my shop and now it wont boot. when i plug it into power i get an amber power button and a UID light. the power supplys dont light up either although the fans are spinning. so far ive tried reseating most of the connections and the main board itself, ive swapped the power supplys. I also took all the supplys out, put dip 6 in the on position to try and reset the NVRAM and the system still wont boot. ive tried plugging it in and leaving it for an hour before trying to power it on. please any advice or anything would be great..

4 REPLIES 4
Richard_Maxwell
Occasional Contributor

There's an insight display that pops out of the front of the server. What do the LEDs on that show? Also, can you get to the iLO Web UI? If so, are there any errors in the IML? It could be a lot of things. Thankfully, everything in those servers is modular.

yavimaya401
Collector

the header for that display isnt working and im a iLO noob. its just weird to me that it was working and now isnt at all. im wonderig if it somehow wasnt shutdown all the way before moving it.

yavimaya401
Collector

Ilo port seems not to be on. also now the UID light is blinking a lot. server is not plugged into anything

Richard_Maxwell
Occasional Contributor

I don't think shutting it down suddenly would cause this, although moving it could definitely break something. If iLO is working, it should register with your DNS server using the server's serial number. For example, if the server's serial number is USEABCDEFG, and your domain name is domain.com, then the host name would be ILOUSEABCDEFG.domain.com. Perhaps you could reach the iLO Web page there. The serial number and iLO credentials are on a toe tag on the front of the server. I would try hooking up the iLO port to a known good switch port and seeing if you get a link light on the iLO port and then try that host name.

Without logs or error messages, it's going to be tough to troubleshoot. It could several things, including a bad power button (it's rare, but this actually did happen to me once), a bad power backplane (these are replaceable on their own), a bad CPU, etc. You mentioned all the cables have been reseated, but have the boards themselves been reseated, as well? The network ports, iLO and the BIOS are on an "SPI board" and that connects to the system board. The power backplane connects to the system board, as well. The CPU and RAM are on their own board in the memory drawer and that connects to the system board. Perhaps one of those connections wiggled out slightly? I know if you call HPE support (800-633-3600), they could send out a CE who would probably just start yanking parts out and putting in new ones until it boots. They'd charge you labor and parts to do it, though, since I'm sure your server is out of warranty by now. They do troubleshoot things for free with you over the phone, though.