ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751709 Members
4003 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Do I have Raid enabled? (Proliant DL 320 G5p)

Diazo

Do I have Raid enabled? (Proliant DL 320 G5p)

Good day everyone.

My question today is how do I positively check if I have a Raid Array enabled or not?

I have a Proliant DL 320 G5p that has been setup as a VoiP server by our phone supplier and transferred to me as the companies IT person to maintain it.

It is installed and working great, however I am unsure if there is a Raid 1 present in the system as there is supposed to be. The embedded Raid controller is being used.

The phone system comes bundled with a modified version of Cent-OS Linux that wipes out the existing operating system and installs clean when you install the phone server. (Elastix is the exact phone server we are using.) HP's Proliant management software is not installed on this system.

Where my confusion comes from is that the Bios Raid contoller you can access during boot-up shows a Raid array being present, however Cent-OS can see both discs seperately that are supposed to be part of the Raid and the LEDs on the drive bays are both off, which the manual tells me means that the drives are not part of a Raid Array.

However, when I make a test file on SDA2 and them manually mount SDB2, that test file is present in the same location.

Is the Raid 1 actually present and just mirroring the drives automatically? My experiance with Raid drives is that the OS can not see the individual drives of the array. The fact that the individual drives are exposed to the OS concerns me, even if the raid array seems to be working and mirroring the data across both drives.

The Bios Raid screen showing the drives in the array.

What I see in the Cent-OS system:

> less /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: GB0160CAABV Rev: n/a
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: GB0160CAABV Rev: n/a
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: TEAC Model: DV-28E-V Rev: C.AB
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

The model GB0160CAABV drives are the two hard drives that are supposed to be the Raid 1 array.

> mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

Note the filesystem is mounted on SDA, SDB has no mounts automatically on boot. I am able to manually mount SDB if I want to and it seems to be a real time image of SDA.

Is the Proliant's implementation of Raid-1 just to simply mirror the data in real time? Or is there something else going on here? Even if that is the case, I would still expect the LED lights on the hard drive bays to be on?

Thanks for any help you guys are able to give me.

1 REPLY 1
nhbilly
Frequent Advisor

Re: Do I have Raid enabled? (Proliant DL 320 G5p)

Can't you just check it from the RAID card BIOS? If you don't mind rebooting it. Too bad I'm not a linux guru.