ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748180 Members
3797 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Do I have a bad power supply on my Prolient 1600? Please Help

westsidesurgical

Do I have a bad power supply on my Prolient 1600? Please Help

I have a small business and we use a Compaq Prolient 1600 as our server with the SCO Unix operating system.
Yesterday I turned the unit off (using the shutdown command) to move the server so we can clean the back of it. After doing so, the unit did not power up. The power light and the fan goes on for 1 or 2 seconds and then it stops and if I leave the power switch on the on position it will keep repeating the same cycle of trying to start for 1 or 2 seconds and stops for like 10 seconds before it try again. I have ordered a new power supply for it and hoping to get it by tomorrow. Is my assumption correct about the power supply being bad? Please help.
Thanks
Shawn
5 REPLIES 5

I once had the same problem on a DL380 with a single power supply. Turns out it was the Mainboard, we had the mainboard swopped out and everything was 100%. Perhaps you can put the server off, and blow out the dust with a blower. Try this, but my fear you may have ordered a power supply for nothing

Collin
Rafal Koszyk
Advisor

I'm assuming you add more equipment around that server. Can you try to connect that server to a different outlet - it might be overloaded.

Also try to disconnect items on the system to see if it will post.

I see it as a power problem more than a power supply. If it gives power to startup then it probably is not the power supply - but then something shuts it off.
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Try reseating the cages and the boards.
GB Tek
Valued Contributor

Reseat memory and CPUs. It sounds like it would not be the power supply if you are getting an initial startup. Also, make sure the cover is on. The older Proliants have interlocks. If all else fails, it sounds like the system board took a dive.
Ask and you shall receive
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Shawn,

It's possible that a cable may have come loose on the small Interconnect backplane which is quite common for the Proliant 1600.

Rather than detail this again, please have a look at this previous forum entry which I replied to some time ago. There are images attached to the replies which might help you identify things.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=600171

Good Luck.

Brian