ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751792 Members
5188 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Do I upgrade the firmware or driver first?

Corbin OReilly
Advisor

Do I upgrade the firmware or driver first?

Hi everyone. I have a Proliant DL380 G4 running Windows 2003 Server with a P600 Array Controller. On HP's web site there is newer firmware revision available for the P600 controller and there is also a newer HP SAS/SATA Windows 2003 driver available. I would like to upgrade our P600 controller to the latest firmware revision and also upgrade the Windows 2003 driver. My question is in what order should I do this? Should I upgrade the firmware, reboot the machine, and then upgrade the Windows 2003 driver or should I do the reverse? Thanks for the help.
5 REPLIES 5
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter in what order you will do it. If you are using online updates for Windows you can upgrade both firmware & driver and THEN reboot the server.
Ozan GUNAYDIN
Frequent Advisor

The order of the installation is not important.

Mitch Sprague
Occasional Advisor

I've been told by other hardware vendors that it may be important how they are applied. The recommendation I was given, and that we use, is to update the firmware (no reboot) then update the driver (reboot). The firmware is applied as the system comes back from the update and before the driver is loaded so when the system is back up both compatible updates are present removing any risk that one update may not be completely compatible, or happy, with the other update.
Marek Nelec
Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter, Mitch. The upgrades will work either way. You can:
1) do both upgrades and reboot the server
2) upgrade firmware, reboot, upgrade driver, reboot
3) upgrade driver, reboot, upgrade firmware, reboot
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

both ways it will work. but i prefer to go for the firmware then driver.

But there won't be a good reason to choose one way or another way around.

Prashant S
Nothing is impossible