1753905 Members
9221 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Do I want the Support Pack?

goAtsy
Occasional Contributor

Do I want the Support Pack?

Does the support pack offer any performance enhancing features, except for updated versions of drivers.

I've installed a couple of servers with SmartStart and would like them to be as clean as possible. What in an updated Support Pack can interest me if I don't need hardware failure notifacations, etc.
3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: Do I want the Support Pack?

How about the health driver that controls the fans?
Or just a system management homepage to get serial number or see if anything is wrong?
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

An updated support pack is the first thing that HP will instruct you to do if there is any problem with a server. We routinely test and deploy the support pack as it only updates the functionality of the server. It has helped prevent Blue Screens by updating iLo2 firmware, server non-reboots by updated the iLo2 management driver and other incompatibilities with the Windows Server 2003 OS.

I would highly recommend putting into plan a standard upgrade schedule for each server and keeping them at the same Support Pack level. This will help you with troubleshooting any problems that may occur.
goAtsy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your answers, i'll install the PSP.

I have one DL380 G3 and one DL380 G4.

Looks like PSP 8.30 is available for the G4 and 8.25a for the G3. Should this be followed strictly or is 8.30 also applicable to the G3?