ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752795 Members
6235 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Do ProLiant 6500s take propriatary CPUs?

Patrick Bushe
Occasional Advisor

Do ProLiant 6500s take propriatary CPUs?

I have recently purchased some PIII Xeon 500/100/2048 CPUs for my proliant server. I ensured that they had the same number (SL2XW) but foolishly assumed that would be all i'd have to consider.

Having received the CPUs today, it is clear that they will not fit into the server with the original heatsink as it is too bulky. Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Re: Do ProLiant 6500s take propriatary CPUs?

Same thing happened to me.They had pipe coolers?, two copper pipes raising up to a aluminum finned heatsink.
I was not very happy about it but took my tork screwdriver out and removed the heatsinks from two of the cpu's.
The vrm's I received in the same lot had the wrong plastic handles, so they were removed. I reset the switch to set the cpu speed and put the vrm's and cpu's in. Fired it up, installed windows2000pro and let it run 24/7 for two weeks.
Absolutely no problems. After this test the other pair were installed and it is running fine.
My suggestion is to follow what I did.
Hope this helps and Good Luck.
Patrick Bushe
Occasional Advisor

Re: Do ProLiant 6500s take propriatary CPUs?

you ran the CPUs without heatsinks?

As you can see in the pic attached to the first post, I have a standard aluminium fin HS. I was actually hoping to snip the fins down to the desired length rather than pay ├В┬г30 for two new HSs which seems outrageous.