ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751975 Members
4661 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Do Proliant DL140 servers support teaming?

Justin C_1

Do Proliant DL140 servers support teaming?

We purchased a few of the DL140 servers for use in a web farm. We were surprised to find that they don't use SmartStart - but some other lighter utility. After building them up with Windows 2000, we were surprised to find no network teaming software. Are we missing something obvious? Do these support teaming?
6 REPLIES 6
Kevin Pike

Re: Do Proliant DL140 servers support teaming?

It does not look like teaming is supported for that NIC. However lack of support does not mean that we can├в t make it work. The following is an experiment. I do not have a test system to try it on.

The DL140 integrated NIC is a Broadcom BMC5700 chipset. I went to the broadcom site for information. In the FAQ I found:

68.) How do I configure two or more adapters to a team?
1. In Microsoft Windows, go to the Load Balance/Virtual LAN tab of BACS (Broadcom Advanced Control Suite).
2. From the Load Balance/Virtual LAN window, select the team. Place an available adapter into the team from Available Adapters window.
3. Click the OK button.

Unfortunately after an extensive search by Sonny, and me, The Broadcom Advanced Control Suite software has yet to be found. If anyone can find it try using that to set up teamin
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

Hi Justin,

I believe it should be able to team to load-balance/failover, well, that's according to its datasheet...

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl140/benefits.html

Sorry I am unable to tell exactly how the 140 would work, but I'd think there should be a HP Network icon in Control Panel for the NIC utility.

Learning never ends
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Value added HP drivers/utilities are not published for the 100 series (HP NIC teaming, Insight agents, etc). If it will work, your best bet is going to be the Broadcom Advanced Control Suite.
nick smith_4

hi guys

I see David from HP says that the best chance is via the boardcome advanced control suite. He is right, but we can not find it anywhere, either on hp or broadcoms web site.

david could you enlighten us as to where we can get it.

we are desperate to getting the load balancing to work.

nic
Jim French
Advisor

At the worse you could purchase something like the Intel Pro/1000 MT Server NIC and use the load balancing on that. I doubt that solution is at all appealing. You could also attempt to use the Broadcom driver which you can get directly from Broadcom. You may want to check this out since you're looking to team with these NICs:
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/wp/570X-WP100-RDS.pdf
Good luck
Rob Rowald

you can download the program to do teaming from IBM's web site. I got it there and set up teaming. It works beautifully.

its 53 Megs in size.

Name: 26k4945.exe
Size: 55,678,874
Description: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Software CD for the BCM570x-based servers and adapters version 7.0.5

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&q1=Broadcom+gigabit&uid=psg1MIGR-43815&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&cc=usтМй=en