ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753779 Members
7563 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Do c7000 blade processes work with a failed Onboard Administrator and no redundant OA present?

Michael1
Advisor

Do c7000 blade processes work with a failed Onboard Administrator and no redundant OA present?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a link indicating whether an Onboard Administrator is essential for blades in a c7000 to operate normally, i.e. the enclosure devices continue to operate but there is no management?

WRT the c3000 I found the following on page 18 which indicated to me that blades would continue to operate normally if the Onboard Administrator was in trouble. Obviously management capabilities are now gone but the processes on the blade would be continuing.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01204885/c01204885.pdf

тАЬThe c3000 Enclosure currently supports one Onboard Administrator module. Enclosure devices continue to operate normally in the event of a hardware failure or removal; however, management capabilities of the enclosure are lost. Enclosure fans run at full speed to ensure adequate cooling when no Onboard Administrator is present.тАЭ

I found a similar link dealing with the c7000

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00816246/c00816246.pdf

but this document doesn't tell me whether blade process will continue if no Onboard Administrator is present. Instead I'm told

"An optional second Onboard Administrator in the c7000 enclosure provides complete redundancy for these services."

So does anyone know whether the blades will still operate with a failed Onboard Administrator and no redundant Onboard Administrator present in the c7000?

Kind regards,
Michael
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: Do c7000 blade processes work with a failed Onboard Administrator and no redundant OA present?

Any powered-on blade will continue to operate even if OA is removed by intention or failure. Powering up a blade may not be possible while this condition exists, although you can override that by holding down the power button.
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Do c7000 blade processes work with a failed Onboard Administrator and no redundant OA present? YES.
There won't be any IO problem with Blade, If you insert another blade, it won't power on.
Its recommended to have Redundant if you are using c7000.