ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753321 Members
6061 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Does Array battery pack offer anything here?

SOLVED
Go to solution
SloSuenos
Occasional Contributor

Does Array battery pack offer anything here?

Hello, we have a DL380 Gen9 with a Smart Array P440ar controller thats populated with 8x600GB 15k SAS drives. Using one array in a RAID 50 configuration.

My boss recently bought a  HP Smart Array Cache Battery Kit (383280-B21) and told me to take the server down and install it. But, according to my research the P440ar is already provisioned with a battery / capacitor by default. HP Smart Storage Administrator shows that one battery / capcitor is installed.

Will taking down the server and installing this battery kit help anything? Can it even be installed on this controller?

Thanks much,

Stephen

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

383280-B21 is for the P400, a different controller. You have a P440. The DL380 Gen9 has a storage battery installed, that can feed all installed smart arrays in the server. The P400 pack is useless for this server and cannot be installed at all.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Torsten's answer is correct.  The question itself had me laughing... I feel bad for the original poster.  I think we've all been there at some point... a boss who just buys stuff and says "do something with this".