1753461 Members
4871 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Doh!

Chris Mann_1

Doh!

Short-term memory loss has struck! I have a Proliant 1600 (running NetWare 5.1 but that's not relevant, I think...). There are 3x 9.1 drives in the cage, configured as RAID 5. I'm trying to add a new 9.1 as a seperate drive, ie in addition to the array. However, I can't persuade the server to recognize it. On boot-up the green light on the drive comes on for a few seconds, then the red light shows and that's it. The supplier has tested the drive and it's a-ok according to them. SmartStart doesn't see it at all.

It's been a while (4 years?) since I set this machine up and I don't use Proliants apart from here, so I'm darned if I can recall what should come next!

Any hints gratefully accepted.
4 REPLIES 4

Just a thought :

have you tried booting into the Option Rom confiiguration for Arrays (press F8 shortly after array controller has been initialized).
From there, select the logical drive, select details and then try to add the new disk.

Just a thought :

have you tried booting into the Option Rom configuration for Arrays (press F8 shortly after array controller has been initialized).
From there, select the logical drive, select details and then try to add the new disk.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Yes, take a look in the Firmware as suggested above. DOes the drive show up there?
Sounds like a problem with the drive configuration. What is the manufacturer and part number of the actual hard drive?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

If the hard drive is giving you a red light, it's either a failed drive or a bad drive cage slot.

An unconfigured drive should give you the initial green light and then go lights-off until it's added into an array somewhere (in your case it sounds like you want to add an arrayB in RAID0 with one drive - any reason you can't add the new drive the existing array? just an aside....)

Try the new drive with the red light in another drive cage slot; if it continues to show red there, it's most likely a failed drive despite the information you've received from your supplier.

If it works fine in another slot, it's the drive cage backplane that's giving you the problem.

Hope that helps,

Janine

To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.