New Discussion юеВ

Re: Downgrade from biprocessor to mono processor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Saner Demirkol
Occasional Contributor

Downgrade from biprocessor to mono processor

Hi,

We've got a server with 2 Pentium III 1000 Mhz Processor on a Win 2k Advanced Server.

One of the software crash in this configuration and the company who developed this software confirm this comptability problem.

I want to know, if I remowe on processor, and reinstall Windows 2000 Advanced Server, the server will be a real mono processor system with Monoprocessor Windows HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) or it will always use Multiprocessor HAL?

If it will use Multiprocessor HAL, can I force Windows to install Monoprocessor Layer?

3 REPLIES 3
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello aner,
Surely you can do the reinstallation of Operating system after removing one of the two CPUs and it will be a Uniprocessor machine. While having two CPUs in the system and forcing it to accept a Uniprocessor HAL may result in intermittent performance issues. You won't see the second CPU. But the best way would be to remove the second CPU and change the HAL to Uniprocessor.

Regards,
Saner Demirkol
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sunil,

You said that: "the best way would be to remove the second CPU and change the HAL to Uniprocessor"

Should I reinstall the OS to change the HAL to Uniprocessor? Or Can I do it directly in the Device Manager of Windows without reinstalling Windows?

Another question (for information only), If the processors was Hyper Treading (it's not but for info only), althought there will be single physical processor, the OS use Multiprocessor HAL. and you see 2 processor on your Device Manager, and your server will be multiprocessor. To force Windows to use Uniprocessor Layer, yous must disable HyperTrading on BIOS, and change the HAL. Is it true or false?

Thanx for your informations.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Saner,
Yes you can change the HAL settings in the Device Manager without reloading the OS. As for as the second question, you are right that you would need to disable the HyperThreading in the BIOS. Please let me know if I could be of further assistance.

Regards,