1753693 Members
6149 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Downgrade

Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

Downgrade

We have ML370 server, it was configured before as 2pcs(36.2 as raid 1+0) and the 4pcs(72GB as Raid5). I upgraded the 72GB to 300GB.

Question:
Is it possible to put back the old 72 GB?
What will happen?
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure to fully understand your question, but let's assume you had a RAID 5 with 4 x 72.8 GB disks, those disks where replaced with 300 GB disks.
Now you want to do the opposite replacement? No, it's not possible, if you replace a disk in a RAID by one smaller, it will never rebuild.
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

Vcespon

Thanks for the reply, it helps me a lot.
I still have one question.
Is it possible that after the 4 x 72.8 GB disks, where replaced with 300 GB disks, the files will be deleted after a few days?

The procedure i've done in changing it is one at a time after each disk was rebuild. So is there any way that the files will be deleted?
Dhon_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I still have one question to ask:

After the 4 x 72.8 GB disks where replaced with 300 GB disks the files are deleted after a few days? So i don't know the cause of the deletion?Do you think the replacement of HDD can cause it?

I change the HDD on at a time, by shutting down the server after each HDD rebuilds. So until know i'm really confuse why the files where deleted?(but not all)
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

No, if you replaced the disks one by one, waiting for the RAID to rebuild on the new disks, you should have a RAID with a logical drive of 210 GB and 680 free (not allocated to any logical drive).
Also, it's strange that you have lost only some files, sometimes RAIDs get corrupt, but then you lose the full volume, not only some files, the RAID controller does not modify the filesystem tables.