1752780 Members
6388 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Download problems

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Download problems

Have been unable to download any files through the Neoserver. If I go around the server by way of my moden I can download without a problem. Have 4 machines hooked to the server using ME, 98 and W2000. Also one machine seems to be able to lock up the server when on the net. Version 1.9 update installed.
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi,
We have the same problem. Please can COMPAQ guys give us any answer ?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I think that every neoserver owner has the same problem.
I don't know about you guys, I have a Neoserver 150.
You can't download files using the Neoserver, you can't use ICQ, etc.
In fact, I believe that a PC running Windows 98SE gives far better Internet and file sharing than the Neoserver.

I have to delete the Neoserver Proxy cache every week because it doesn't work as it should. Frecuently visited sites are always missing images, tables, etc. Why can't it do it correctly!?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Transform the Neoserver into a PC...

OK, first of all I got MANY Neoserver 150 as there was a promotion where I live and Compaq was giving them away almost for free (only 300 USD each one).

I sold many of them and kept one for myself.

As I'm tired of the Neoserver I decided to expermient a little with one of them, now it has a 30GB aditional storage drive.
If you want to get a compatible drive case get a Lian-Li removable drive case, I can't remember the exact model, but you can find it at their website.
Don't be affraid, the neoserver will recognize any hard drive.

How does the Neoserver's 150 guts look like? Well, it is nothing more than a PC, a well built PC.
Intel i810E chipset, with integrated graphics. A lucent Winmodem, 2 intel based nics, etc.
I would install Linux on mine, but there is only one thing that the Neoserver does fine, look nice, and I don't know how the front panel lights are controlled, and I don't want to lose those "nice lights".
By the way... The neoserver 150 graphics work, PS2 mouse and Keyboard port also work fine.

By now I think that for all of us that got a Neoserver for all the wrong reasons the only solution to our problems is to install a real OS and get rid of that "imitation" of OS that Compaq installed on them
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I've been able to successfully install RedHat 7.1 on my neoserver. I dropped another NIC into it and am using it as firewall/gateway to my internal network through a DSL connection. (I'd be happy to answer any questions that I could regarding what I've done).

One thing I've been trying to figure out it is if there is any way to access the BIOS and play with any settings there. So, if anyone out there knows, please reply. (And, yeah, I know the compaq guys are going to tow the company line on this one based on other responses I've seen here in this forum..."the NeoServer was specifically designed as an APPLIANCE" yada, yada, yada.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Great! And how does it work with RedHat 7.1? Does the front panel leds still work?

I can acces my Neoserver 150 BIOS by pressing F10 when the stupid "Compaq" logo appears while booting up (the initial screen). But if you aren't able to acces it, don't worry, there isn't anything important in there (you can't acces memory timings, etc).

By the way, don't worry about Compaq's tech support people, they haven't been around for a while, and I really doubt they will appear again since they have already discontinued the Neoserver (they realized how bad it really was).