5532 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive Arrays

SOLVED
Go to solution
Geoff Hamilton

Drive Arrays

I am in the middle of a steep learning curve and have started with a Proliant 4500. I added a Smart 2/P array. So far so good, array shows up as drive 'C'. Moving on I then added a Smart 2/E array. The Smartstart ACU sees and allows me to configure both. The OS (W2K Server) only sees the 2/P array (drive 'C'). Running the ACU GUI only shows the 2/P array. The 2/E array has two green lights on each drive. Now I am really stuck. What did I miss?
8 REPLIES 8
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Re: Drive Arrays

Hi Geoff;

I'm guessing you need to install the driver for the second controller in win2K.

Run the CSP from SmartStart to install it.

Then the ACU from the OS will see the second array controller.

Cheers,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Geoff Hamilton

Thanks for the quick reply. I assume I run this from w2k rather than booting from Smartstart? If so, where does CSP hide - under utils? Sorry for all the questions but I am very new to all this.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Geoff;

You can auto-run the SmartStart CD in Win2k and choose the CSP upgrade from there.

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Geoff Hamilton

Ran the install with default everything selected. Most items it reported either already installed or not needed.... and still no array either. Its 5.4 of the Smartstart, and the most recent prom versions I could find for both the system and controller bios.

Head banging for beginners is my next task. Thanks for your help!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Did you run the System Configuration Utility after adding the additional array controller? In order to get the correct resources assigned to a device (especially EISA) it requires this done. You can usually do this by selecting the F10 option after post. You can also boot off of Smart Start and select it from the menu which comes up. Finally, you can download the utility and run it from floppies (by booting off them):
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Geoff Hamilton

I had previously run the config utility and it had picked up the 2/e correctly, showing as 3rd boot device. I have even tried manually adding w2k devices to see if it get picks up but no luck. I think at this point I'll blow the config away and start again from scratch.

Many thanks for all the advice, shame I couldn't lick the machine this time.
Geoff Hamilton

A scratch build with both arrays attached has worked. There is a step in w2k install where available disks are selectable for boot/install. A newly configured array is not known to w2k until this step is complete. Maybe its not possible to add an array to an existing configuration.... anyone knows different please share! Thanks again for the suggestions etc.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

No you can add an array controller to an existing configuration. I've done this many times in the past and this is one of the recommended ways of doing an array controller migration (add new controller in with original, install driver, and move drives over to the new controller). Part of the problem in this may be caused by using an EISA controller, but if the system config utility was run after adding the controller in, then the OS should be able to see it. Not sure why it wasn't.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..