ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753947 Members
7508 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Drive Fail in RAID 5 on Smart Array E200i (Proliant ML350 G5)

Nico-01
Visitor

Drive Fail in RAID 5 on Smart Array E200i (Proliant ML350 G5)

Hello,

I have a Proliant ML 350 G5 running Win 2008.

My problem is that when replacing a RAID 5 hard drive it won't rebuild automatically.

After I tried many things, including reboot and another hard drive, I decided to try an third drive (actually I think an older one but not sure).

The ACU now tells me it is rebuilding and I should wait. Which feels good, doesn't it ?

Issue #1

The problem is that after I closed ACU, blue leds are still blinking on the drives. Is that normal ? I thought blue leds only blinked when drives were connected to the management application.

Issue #2

My conf is

slots 0 and 1 => RAID 1

Slots 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 => RAID 5 with a spare disk (6)

Drives 3 and 4 were down !

I replaced drive 4 (Issue #1).

Should I wait fora coplete rebuild of drive 4 before replacing drive 3 or should I replace it now ? Especially when you are aware of my problem with blue leds.

I'd be glad to have any advice from you.

Thanks

Nico

3 REPLIES 3
Nico-01
Visitor

Re: Drive Fail in RAID 5 on Smart Array E200i (Proliant ML350 G5)

Update
Disk 4 is now Amber.
Rebuild failed
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

Please attach an ACU report.

Thanks

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Nico-01
Visitor

Hi,

In the meantime I call HP Customer service.

They seem to think it is a hardware pb with the cables and back??? (sorry didn't get that correctly).

That's not very reassuring, because the server is in a precarious situation : only 2 disks left on a RAID 5 volume !

Right now I'm working on realtime backup with another server in case this one really goes down.

But I can't help thinking maybe I did something wrong with the disks. I hotswap the disks waiting about a minute or two. Was I right ? I also rebooted the server and updated the Smart Array Firmware.

Is there anything else I could attempt ?

Asyou asked, he is the ACU report.