ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752619 Members
4265 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive added to array, create NT volume set?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Drive added to array, create NT volume set?

This server has a Smart Array 3200 array controller in it. The server has been running low on disk space, so I added a 4th 18 gig drive, and used the most current array config utility to add it the logical and physical array, (RAID5). (also upgraded all other components to most current as listed in version control).

I have a C: and a D: partition in NT. The new space correctly appears as free space in Disk Administrator on Disk 0. It looks like I have only a few options to 'add' this space to my D: partition. I can 'Extend the Volume Set' under NT, which would give me all the space and have it appear as a 'yellow' NT Volume Set on my D: partition. My question is, since all the disks on Disk 0 are a true RAID5, is it a bad thing to extend my partition this way? What would happen to my partition if one of the drives failed? Should I blow away the partition, recreate with the new space, and restore from tape, or get a third party utitlity to 'really' extend the partition? If so, why is or isn't it bad to extend the volume set under NT?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Kris.
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Drive added to array, create NT volume set?

i take it you have extended the volume set in the array configuration utility already? if not do that first...you may need an older version of the ACU (like 4.9) cause the latest doesnt support extension...in NT then you will see it as you have described...extending it isnt a bad thing and wont impact your raid set..if it wasnt going to work it would tell you when you tried it...it is ALWAYS recommended though that you have a backup of the data in case...
the safest thing to do however is to blow it away and restore it from backup as you said above
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Drive added to array, create NT volume set?

Hi,
I don't recommend expanding your volume like that. You compromise your original RAID5 configuration! It happend to our company. The fourth drive (also configuated in the same way) crashed, and I lost all data ALSO on the original D: partition of the RAID5 configuration. Make a new drive/volume and do not compromise your original configuration. I had to install my server from scratch!