108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Drive doesn't fit in ML110?!

SOLVED
Go to solution
snathan
Occasional Advisor

Drive doesn't fit in ML110?!

Hello, I recently purchased three 4TB SATA 7.2K LFF drives (part no. 872491-B21) to go with my Proliant ML110 Gen10 server (part no. P10812-421).

I attempted to install them and they did not go further than a couple inches in. In fact, one even got scratched on the enclosure (the black plastic around the drive). I was very cautious to insert them in the right orientation, i.e. the SATA ports to the left, so this is not the issue.

What am I missing here? I will try to add pictures to this post if it's not clear enough.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Cheers,
Spyros

7 REPLIES 7
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Hello snathan,

I am sure you might have tried all possible ways to install these drives but just for the confirmation could you try checking the user guide of this server at https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00026253en_us and refer to the section "Drive Options" to see if you followed the similar instructions/ways to install these drives

Note: "While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company."

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

snathan
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply @Anu_K . Yes, I did take a look at the user guide and followed the relevant instructions, unfortunately to no avail.

I have since opened a case with HPE Support (#5356360805) and I'm awaiting feedback.

Cheers,
Spyros

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

Those drives aren't the right size to fit in that server. There are two kinds of 4TB drives that could fit in your server, and to find the right replacement, I'd need to know the product number or serial number of your server.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

snathan
Occasional Advisor

Hi @KevinSpringPM , not sure what you mean by "not the right size"? They are 3.5'' (LFF) SATA HDDs , and it's a LFF drive cage I'm trying to install them to. From what I've seen these drives are compatible with the Proliant ML110 server.

The P/N of the server is P10812-421.

Cheers,
Spyros

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro
Solution

That server requires low profile (LP) LFF drives, you need to get 861683-B21 instead-

HPE 4TB SATA 6G Midline 7.2K LFF (3.5in) LP 1yr Wty Digitally Signed Firmware HDD

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

snathan
Occasional Advisor

If that is indeed the case, then I am sad and disappointed to hear it, as it was not at all clear to me when I made the purchase.  I bought these 3 drives as specifically compatible with ML110.

Apparently it's not clear to the HPE support engineer who has been working on the case since yesterday either, as I was informed that the drives were indeed compatible with the server.

I will follow up on my support ticket to explore further options. Thank you for your time and replies.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

This part no:(part no. 872491-B21) is not supported by this server.

I would suggest you use supported hardware components with this server. Please follow the below link for clarifications.

HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10 Server Quick Space.
https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00021851enw#

HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen10 Server - Option Parts
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00028326en_us&docLocale=en_US

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo