cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive failure on DL380 G3

Bernard Megan
Occasional Visitor

Drive failure on DL380 G3

I have a DL380 G3 server that has two 36Gb drives mirrored as logical drive 1 and two 76Gb drives mirrored as logical drive 2. The system recently is saying that Drive 0 in logical drive 1 has failed. I replaced the drive with a new one and that failed as well. I then moved all four drives to different slots but the same thing happened. I have upgraded the bios on the 5i controller and still the same thing. If I go into the ACU and look at logical drive 1 it shows one drive active, and unused space with three question marks behind it. the drive 0 is unassigned. Can I install a PCI 642 controller and move the drives to that without losing data? This is a DC running Exchange
5 REPLIES
SPa
Trusted Contributor

Re: Drive failure on DL380 G3

The Drive if a part of array should not be visible as Unassigned.

Post ACU Physical view snapshot here if possible.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You would need to install the controller first, while the system is still running on the 5i, let Windows detect it, load drivers, set registry, etc...

Then, you can shut the system down and move the connectors so that the 642 is connected to the hdd backplane and disable the 5i. System should boot up fine.

Alternatively, you can have the 5i replaced... which is more likely the case. I had several DL380G2's and G3's go belly up (the 5i controller) and I only had to replace the Smart Array. Luckily, they were still under warranty..

You can also have a problem with the backplane... you should really call HP Support and log the issue... maybe they have seen it before.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Bernard Megan
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your help guys. I moved the drives over to the 642 and the data was intact. However after a short time the drives started failing again. I suspect it is a system board/backplane problem. I have taken the machine out of service and brought a new G4 into service
Bernard Megan
Occasional Visitor

This thread is closed
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

If you want to use the 6i in the G4, I have a registry file you can import so that your system "see's" the 6i and can boot from it. Let me know.

It is posted here in the forums as well... multiple times.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)