cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive failures after firmware update v3.66 on two dl380g6

DanielBergeron
Occasional Contributor

Drive failures after firmware update v3.66 on two dl380g6

After updating the P410 raid driver to version 6.20.0.64 and firmware version 3.66 on two Dl380G6 they were needed to reboot. After reboot the raid entered in rebuilding state (blue lights on all drives). After that, one drive had a flashind yellow led. ACU reported malfunctions on 2 drives, one on each server. When I removed the "yellow flashing" drive, that started a rebuild process of the raid and my spare drive fired-up on each server.(I have 7 SAS 146 gb drives on each server, the raid controller is onboard and configured as raid-5). The same events occured on my second server except for the drive bay that was different. Anyone can tell me how a firmware upgrade can kill drives. That doesn't encourage people staying up-to-date with drivers and firmware updates.
2 REPLIES
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: Drive failures after firmware update v3.66 on two dl380g6

I agree. HP forces you to upgrade the firmware to talk to them.

In 11/2010 - 12/2010, firmware 9.2 upgrades took out two server board and four FC HBAs. More downtime in two months than previous 14 years. I have a Carepaq. They brought out two damaged or flaky server boards. I ask to speak to a manager. No phone call since.....

I understand your frustration.
DanielBergeron
Occasional Contributor

Re: Drive failures after firmware update v3.66 on two dl380g6

Ok, here I am two days later, with two more "Imminent drive failure" reported by HP Insight Diagnostic on the same server where I already changed 2 drives after replacing 2 "faulty" drives on that same server. And the best of all, one of the replacement drive (which is two days old running), needs to be replaced again....there sure is some other explanation that someone at HP can give to me. I'm now jumping on the phone to call HP, cause having to dead drives on my raid 5 isn't the most relaxing state of mind I ever been. My email server can die any moment from now on.