Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver versions different on NIC and Virtual Bus Device

77Steinsland
Occasional Contributor

Driver versions different on NIC and Virtual Bus Device

Servers are two identical DL360p Gen8

OS is Windows Server 2012

The servers are set up as a 2-node Hyper-V failover cluster.

Network adapters are

2x Broadcom 10Gb 2-port 530FLR-SFP+

2x Broadcom 10Gb 2-port 530SFP+

Each pair is teamed. Teaming is handled by System Center VMM 2012 SP1.

Driver update on the NICs was necessary as we encountered BSOD during failover, and this is a known issue fixed in the latest driver release(s) found on HP website.

I have downloaded from hp.com and installed the latest driver version, which is 7.4.31.0.

When I check Device Manager however, I get results that seem confusing.

Under Network Adapters, the individual NICs still list the old driver version (7.4.23.0).

Under System Devices the latest/correct driver version (7.4.31.0) is listed for "HP 530FLR-SFP+ DP Virtual bus Device #72" and the other Virtual Bus Devices corresponding to each of the physical NICs.

If I try to run Update Driver from the NIC properties, it says the latest driver is already installed.

To sum up: The same four NICs are listed both under Network Adapters and as Virtual Bus Device under System Devices, but the driver versions are different, and I can't update the ones under Network Adapters any further.

Is this expected behaviour? The reason why it is so important to be sure we are running the latest version is of course the severity of the issue fixed (BSOD). These hosts are intended to run production environments for customers.

1 REPLY
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Driver versions different on NIC and Virtual Bus Device

Hi,

Check out this article from Microsoft, it may not be directly related to NIC or Windows 2012 but worth taking a look.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930861

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.