1748138 Members
3658 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Drivers for B120i for RHEL 7.4

vbezhenar
Occasional Advisor

Drivers for B120i for RHEL 7.4

Hello. I want to install RHEL 7.4 on server with B120i raid controller (using raid configuration, not AHCI). I couldn't find image with drivers for RHEL 7.4, latest for RHEL 7.3. Should I want for new drivers or I can use old ones?

23 REPLIES 23
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The drivers are kernel specific and I do not know the status of driver updates being offered beyond RHEL 7.3.  The B120i is a chipset AHCI SATA  controller that requires a kernel specific proprietary driver for software derived RAID functionality.  Many refer to these chipset SATA controllers as 'fake raid'.  Since you are doing a fresh installation the HPE recommendation is to use the 'mdadm' software RAID feature included with the OS.  For Gen9 and Gen10 with UEFI, HPE offers documentation on how to make both disks bootable and available in the UEFI ESP.  You could do something similar for an older BIOS based system to make the 2nd disk bootable in case the primary disk fails.

LSRRB (Linux Software Raid Redundant Boot), refer to the LSRRB users guide available here
https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/lsrrb/

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
vbezhenar
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. I'm forced to use B120i Raid because otherwise server's fans are too loud and I didn't find a way to make them quiet with AHCI mode. I tried to use RHEL 7.4 with new kernel and indeed hpvsa driver causes kernel panick on boot, I guess the only way is to wait for new driver.

fredo1664
Advisor

I have the exact same problem after upgrading to 7.4

Do you have a workaround? Use 7.4 with the kernel from 7.3 ?

Ken Green
Advisor

Have you tried to see whether the driver from 7.3 works on 7.4? The hpsa driver (for HW SmartArrays) is fairly tolerant of kernel versions. I've not tried with the SW SmartArray drivers.

vbezhenar
Occasional Advisor

It doesn't work, server panics.

According to previous releases, HP builds new driver about a month after RHEL release. So I think that driver will be available soon.

CCS1
Regular Visitor

I was able to do a fresh install of RHEL 7.4 using the current HP 7.3 B120i Driver.

But doing a upgrade from RHEL 7.3 with the current HP 7.3 B120i Dirver to RHEL 7.4 the kernel panics 

Driver used kmod-hpvsa-1.2.16-102.rhel7u3.x86_64

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The driver is kernel specific, really suprised it even tries to load. I wouldn't trust storing any data on it without a known good backup.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
vbezhenar
Occasional Advisor

So it's two monthes, driver is not available yet. Is there any new information? Centos 7.4 was released as well. If it's abandoned, it would be good to know.

gregorgregor

Now I'm also hit by this problem on three Servers.

Any news here? Has anybody a support subscription and is able to create a support case?