5170 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Dual Booting Server

fpvdrif6
Occasional Contributor

Dual Booting Server

Hi all,

I have a client who wants to upgrade their server from Server 2003 (x86) to Server 2008 R2 (x64).  As an in-place upgrade is not supported, the manager has decided for me to look into a dual boot option by adding a couple more drives and creating a separate array.

Anyone done this before and does it work?  I've done plenty of dual booting on workstations before but never on a server.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

EDIT:  Sorry, forgot to say it's a ProLiant ML370 G5

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Dual Booting Server

I would remove the 2003 disks, insert new disks and create an array on them.

Or you may have a look into ORCA and set the boot array (this is possible for most smart arrays with current firmware).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
fpvdrif6
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, the server also has a separate data array.  For the initial install of the new OS (on a new array), would you suggest removing the data array and then adding it afterward?  Or just leave it installed for the entire process?

Berkleigh

We have a similar request, how did you end up doing this?

Was considering the addition of more hard drives but not sure if they really need that expense right now.

Might create a virtual machine out of their existing 2003 server and bring it up inside 2008R2 once it has been upgraded. This way is even better than dual boot since both servers are up at the same time, easier to migrate the old server to the new.
fpvdrif6
Occasional Contributor

Hi Berkleigh,

Unfortunately I can't help you - haven't done it yet.  Client is delaying the job for some reason however at this stage we are looking to back everything up, wipe 2003 and fresh install 2008 R2.  Last discussion with the client left this as a suitable option.

Cheers