cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Port SAS Drives for Servers

Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Dual Port SAS Drives for Servers

I know that HP has adopted the industry standard of only marketing Dual Port SAS drives. Originally these were intended for use in storage devices that could take advantage of both ports on the single drive. Has HP begun using storage controllers and backplanes in servers (G6?, G7?) that take advantage of the dual port architecture?

The obvious need to know is whether there is any degradation in service when replacing a failed dual port disk with a single port disk.

Any information or light that can be shed on this subject is appreciated, and I will assign points accordingly!

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

Re: Dual Port SAS Drives for Servers

if u have a server with for example 8 DP HDDs and one is defective and u will change this one with a SP HDD - 7 x DP - 1 x SP

all drives then will work with SP speed
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

I am not sure I understand your answer. Does the server recognize the second port? What does "dual port" have to do with the drive speed?

Please explain yourself.

Thanks.
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

all dual port drives will work like a single port drive then. its the same if u mix 10k with 15k drives. they will all work with 10k then.

hdds in a raid will always use the performance of the "lowest" hdd, even if there are more faster or "more then one port" drives available
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Manuel-
Thanks for the clarification. I still need to know whether the controllers and backplanes on the G6 and G7 servers even recognize or access the second port on the drive. can you confirm and provide some collateral that addresses this?