cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Xeon Speed vs Single

BobKCS1
Occasional Visitor

Dual Xeon Speed vs Single

We have a ML 350 G6 server with a single Xeon E5620 Processor. Looking up the speed rating on pubenchmark.net its rated as 4887.  If I add a 2nd processer as they are pretty inexpensive these days, what kind of speed boost can i expect? I assume its not going to really double it or is it?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES
Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

Re: Dual Xeon Speed vs Single

No, it's not going to simply double. The speed improvement depends upon several things, like the operating system and whether the software is tuned to use dual processors efficiently. Note that if you move to dual processors, you should split the RAM between the two banks of DIMMS and you will also need to have the proper fans and baffles installed to keep the fan noise level low.

BobKCS1
Occasional Visitor

We have two of these. One is a 2012 r2 server acting as a file server, one is actually used as a workstation running windows 8.1.

Any estimate as to the performance increase we might expect if adding the 2nd processor to these two systems?

Thanks!

Edwin Eppel
Valued Contributor

I could not find any benchmarks comparing single vs dual cpu builds but in general you could see an improvement on the file server but I would not expect a big gain on the workstation. The Xeon is designed for heavy load and high throughput, so if the file server is currently under heavy load a second cpu will improve performance, but I would consider adding memory as well. Bear in mind, you need to take into account the storage system and where any bottlenecks may occur. The E5620 is not compute intensive so gains on the workstation will be marginal and you would do better with a modern i7.

BobKCS1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks, just trying to find how to best repurpose old expensive equiptment. :)