1753767 Members
5534 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [Duplicate Post]SNMP for iLO3 - DL 380 G7

L1nklight
Valued Contributor

[Duplicate Post]SNMP for iLO3 - DL 380 G7

Sorry for the duplicate post. I inadvertently posted the same query in the wrong forum (General Server). Does anyone know where I can set the community string in iLO3 on a DL 380 G7? It was easy enough on the iLO4 but I can't seem to find it on the iLO3 system. If I can't set it, is there a default community string I can use? Thanks in advance, again apologies for the duplicate post. 

2 REPLIES 2
xmate
Valued Contributor

iLO3 acts strictly as a pass-thru service for SNMP functions. The SNMP port is one of only two ports in iLO that pass traffic to the OS through the iLO driver. Remember that SNMP does not encrypt data. You can disable SNMP if you are concerned about data that iLO passes from the server, such as the OS, type of processor, and number of I/O devices. If you want to use SNMP, you can set firewalls and routers to accept only specific source and destination addresses. You can also set passwords (community strings) according to the same guidelines as administrative passwords.

You can setup your snmp in the operating system. No community string setup is available via iLO3.

iLO4 deffers from iLO3 because it has a build-in SNMP stack. So iLO4 doesn't need OS support to function properly.

Was the post useful? Click on the white KUDOS! Star.
L1nklight
Valued Contributor

Best answer. Thank you.