1753301 Members
6753 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dynamic Disk on Proliant ML350 G3

Ismael Silla
Occasional Contributor

Dynamic Disk on Proliant ML350 G3

I recently converted my system disk from from Basic to Dynamic and set-up W2K server mirroring. After the reboot, I got a blue screen with error 0x0000007B. According to Microsoft article 822052 the issue could be a mismatched Primary Disk Group identity. In order to fix you have to removed the Primary Disk Group key by mounting it on another server in order to Load Hive and deleting the registry key. I mounted the disk on another ML350 but was not able to see the drive, so I removed the drive and mounted it back to the original server. Now, I don't get any blue screen but can't event run repair because it is does not see the winnt folder. However, when I run the Recovery Console, I was able to see the winnt folder. I restored the system registry file from the repair\regback folder but still the same issue. The system does not seem to recognized that there is an OS installed in the drive.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Ismael
3 REPLIES 3
rpafort
Occasional Advisor

Re: Dynamic Disk on Proliant ML350 G3

Dear Ismael,

Recently I also run into some problems with a w2k software mirror after a disk failure.

First I would like to advise you to switch to a hardware raid solutions. It will cost you al little more, but on the long run it will save you money and stress!

But now to the possible solution;

When you boot from your physical disk, what happens? Does your system hang on a blinking cursor? If so you need to create a Windows 2000 bootdisk, see MS KB113977, with a correct boot.ini based on your system with the correct ARC paths. After you created a bootdisk, try to boot from it.
Ismael Silla
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. I created the boot disk but was getting the message Windows 2000 cannot start because the file \system32\ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt. Please re-install a copy of the file. I have verified that the boot.ini is pointing to the right partition and disk.
rpafort
Occasional Advisor

I had the same problem/message, but you can ignore this error message. It just means your boot.ini is not setup correct.

This forum topic was very helpfull to me;

http://www.mcmcse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?printertopic=1&t=3220&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&vote=viewresult

Good luck!