1752689 Members
5346 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dynamic power saver problem

Mohamad KADRI
Occasional Advisor

Dynamic power saver problem

I have four Blp enhanced enclosures each one connected to 1U power enclosure with four power supplies in each (number of installed servers: 29 Bl20p-G3). Each two redundant power supplies are connected to two different input power sources for redundancy. Dynamic power saver has been enabled on the four enclosures (so each pwr enc has two power supplies with LEDs flashing green). During the testing phase, we have turned off the circuit breaker on the PDU supplying power to a 1U pwr enc so powering off one psupply from left side and one psupply from right side of the enclosure then boooooom: all servers in the concerned enclosure are powered off with red LEDs....!
- Disabling the dynamic power saver, the test passed and all servers remain online. Any explanation of this result?
Remember that all enclosures are with 2.30 firmware.
4 REPLIES 4
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

1st. update Firmware for all 1U and enclosures to 2.32
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33631.exe

2nd. you don't mix cables from A side to B side PDU.

3rd. see attachment for Best practice Redundancy with 4 1U units + 4 Encl

4th. you don't turn off Breakes at PDU as you pull PSU from 1U unit.

Try all of this and let us know
Mohamad KADRI
Occasional Advisor

In the design shown in the attached picture, if we loose power input on a PDU connected to the Blp enclosure (top or bottom) four servers (in top enclosure or bottom one) will be powered off since a half of 1U pwr enc is powering four servers only. We need redundancy on the power input from two UPS: if one ups fails, no one server should powers off. Is that true?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

You still can change some cables from PDU from 2nd or 3rd to 1st or 4th along same side.
BTW Is your UPS capable to provide enough Amps at peak time, when other source fails. It could be one of the reasons why Local UPS not really supported with 1U, unless it's centralized for site.
Mohamad KADRI
Occasional Advisor

In my installation I have only 4 PDUs for the four 1U enclosures: on each 1U side (with 2 pwr supplies) one PS is powered from UPS1 and the other PS is powered from UPS2. Returning to my question again: if dynamic power saver is enabled, when turning off the main breaker on one PDU (which feeds side A or side B of all pwr encs) the four servers on that side in each enclosure (total of 16 servers) do power reset (abnormal power off) with red LEDs then reboot... we don't have this problem if dynamic power saver is disabled. Is that normal?