4104 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: E200 SmartArray in 380 G5 and ESX 4.1 vmfs datastore

Uros678
Occasional Contributor

E200 SmartArray in 380 G5 and ESX 4.1 vmfs datastore

Hello,

anyone have any experience using this raid controler with ESX?

I have a test setup with the above hardware and my datastore is on a raid 5 logical drive. Now, when I simulate a drive failure (unplug one drive while the ESX is running) the vmfs datastore is gone. The ESX doesn't see the vmfs datastore anymore. It's just gone. Now this is something that shouldn't happen.

After reinserting the drive, the rebuild is not started until I restart the server. The ESX console partition which is on a raid 1 logical drive survives the loss of a drive normaly and after reinsertion it starts to rebuild normaly.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Best regards,

Uros
3 REPLIES 3
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I tried ESX 4u2 on bl465g5 with e200i smartarray - but only raid1 between 2 disks. I did not noticed any problem with it.
Behavior you describe is really strange - logical drive restore should be independent on any OS installed - it is hardware provided. Try to do this without booting to ESX. Check firmware level - maybe there is an issue?

Jan
Uros678
Occasional Contributor

All firmware levels are up to date. I used 9.1(C) firmware update DVD.

The problem is only with raid 5 with a datastore on it. The ESX datatore that resides on raid 1 is working ok. RAID 1 fails and rebuilds as expected, without disrupting the ESX.

Best regards,

Uros
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hmm, could you try this rebuilding without running OS?

Jan