108758 Solutions
New Discussion

E200 controller and 3TB drives incompatible with Proliant DL180G5

SOLVED
Go to solution
ITPros
Frequent Advisor

E200 controller and 3TB drives incompatible with Proliant DL180G5

A Proliant DL189G5 is being used with a Smart Array E200 Controller.   The quickspecs for the  E200 Controller

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12460_na/12460_na.html

show compatibility with 3 TB drives.  Based on this two 3 TB drives were purchased and do not work.   A search of forums shows there are a number of complaints about incompatibility issues.  Are the quickspecs wrong?  If so will they be updated?  Troubleshooting with technical support confirmed that the drives are not supported, but no explanation or options were offered.  The drives purchased were 625031-B21.  The E200 is on firmware version 1.86. The DL180 G5 is on BIOS 2010.10.25 (8 Dec 2010) and BMC 3.20 (B) (22 Jun 2010). 

Since this advertised as day that server experts will be available, hoping for a response.

14 REPLIES 14
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Re: E200 controller and 3TB drives incompatible with Proliant DL180G5

HI,

E200 controller will support only greater than 2TB in a single logical drive. Please check if you have configured all the drives in single logical drives.

Smart array E200 offers:

Up to 6TB of total storage with 6 x 1TB SATA MDL hard drives (3.5")

Up to 2.4TB of total storage with 8 x 300GB SFF SAS hard drives

If configured only 1 logical drive, check the type and size of hard drives you are using.

Also please check the below post, which might help you.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/HP-DL180-G5-E200-firmware-upgrade/m-p/5972317#M134754

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
ITPros
Frequent Advisor

Renji,  encouraging input!  Will update you later.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Adding to previous post.

As per Server compatibility matrix, E200 controller is supported on different ProLiant models. : http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA3-4004ENW&cc=us&lc=en

So, Hard Drive Type, Size, Capacity and maximum number of hard drives supported on E200 Controller varies server to server and we should consider looking at Server quickspecs to understand maximum storage capacity, hard drive type and size supported. DL180 G5 Server Quickspecs : http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12903_na/12903_na.HTML#Storage

DL180 G5 Server Quickspecs does not list 3 TB SAS Hard Drive.

DL180 G5 is an entry model server and support the following:

SAS Model: Up to 12.0TB (12 x 1TB Hot Plug 3.5" hard drives)

So 3TB harddrives on E200 we can say not supported in DL180 G5 server but may be supported in other models

Let me see if I find more information on this.

Hope this helps,

I work for HP.

How to Say Thanks..Click on Star Kudos

Cheers!

Ali

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base – Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Jeroen_Kleen
HPE Pro
Solution

We have been reviewing this issue in regards to  3TB physical drive support for HP SmartArray E200 within HP.

The conclusion is that our quickspecs for the HP ProLiant SmartArray E200 are wrong! We do not support 3TB physical drives to be attached to an SA E200 controller. We apologize for any inconveniene that this might have caused. We are working on getting this updated and changed right at this moment.

The maximum physical drive support for SA E200 is 2TB!

I have documented this in an knowledge document with title: "HP ProLiant Smart Array E200 - Maximum physical drive size support" That should show up in the next hours on www.hp.com/go/HPSC.

Cheers, Jeroen

(I am an HPE employee)
ITPros
Frequent Advisor

Jeroen, you don't know how much your review and quick action are appreciated!  I monitor a site of IT professionals who buy a considerable number of servers.   There has been considerable discussion and, as you can imagine, frustration about this issue.    Your response and action show why this HP Server Day is so valuable. 

Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Thanks Jeroen for confirming the quickspecs is wrong.

In this situation, we may try 8 x 300GB SFF SAS or 6 x 1TB SATA MDL drives in single logical drive to get more storage  using capacity expansion.

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
TVVJ
HPE Pro

ITPros
Frequent Advisor

Renjiv and Vijayasarathy, the additional information you provide is also very much appreciated.

rodrigomunozl

Jeroen,

In order to quickspecs we buy 4 x 3TB western Digital Red disks to install in ours Hp Proliant DL180 G5.

So.... now you said that quickspecs is wrong!!!

What can we do now???

Wait for a firmware update?...