Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E200I to P400 migration

MartinPorter
Occasional Visitor

E200I to P400 migration

Hi all,

We have an ML250 G5 with the above RAID card and a single RAID 5 array.
The card seems to have (well reported) performance issues - eg 1 min to move a 100mb file

If was to replace it with a P400 card, could I just swap out card

or

would I need to backup server/data using say Acronis, then create new array with drives on the P400, then full restore?

Best regards,

Martin Porter
6 REPLIES
MartinPorter
Occasional Visitor

Re: E200I to P400 migration

Sorry, looks like you can swap card out
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarraye200/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

but is the drive the same and i assume just plugging drives into new card, it will read some sort of config from the drives?
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Hmmm..
remove cards and disks create array , insert disk in orig place and away you go enjoy
a back up is always recommended

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

in bios select the correct controller to boot from then f10 and exit then f8 in controller and make create array ,
MartinPorter
Occasional Visitor

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your comments

so just so that I am clear:
1. Backup server
2. swap RAID card, do not plug drives in at this point?
3. Create Array in RAID BIOS setup - is that possible without disks attached?

I would have thought that you should just plug disk into card, where it would then read config from disks and ask if you wish to use that config, or create new array?

Is there any HP documentation on this?

cheers

M
gregersenj
HPE Pro

no, sound wrong to me.

The e200 and the p400 should be data compatible, and all RAID setup and information is stored as meta data on the disks.

But the e200 and the p400 may not be driver compatible. So you need to install a driver for the p400 first.

1. install the p400 in the server, leave the e200 as is.
2. Start up server and install the driver.
3. shut down server.
4. remove the e200.
5. put cables on P400.
6. start server.
8. Press F8, when promptet by the P400.
9. Choose as boot controller, in the orca (If available, oter wise the p400 has done it itself).

You are up and running.

Remember 2 things.
Backup, and emergency recovery plan.

Remember to remove power cords, when installing and removing RAID controllers.

BR
/jag
MartinPorter
Occasional Visitor

BR,

Yes, I did realise that there may be a drive issue - I would normally force the install of the driver in Windows before installing the card. But to be on safe side, I will install the P400 as you said, let server find card/ask for driver and then go through your instructions.

Many thanks all
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Hi martin

excuse me i got it mixed with another post

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1392404

it should read remove cards make sure disks are in orig place , insert new card , array is created

a backup is always recommended I dont think a driver is required i recall doing this in lab , dont recall adding a driver though it was on srv 2003 sp2

in bios select the correct controller to boot from then f10 and exit then f8 in controller o see what array controller sees.. ,

and yes meta data signature is on disk, so disk know they are part of a collective

post back was driver needed ...