1752785 Members
6213 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

E200i - Disabling array accelerator

fricci
Advisor

E200i - Disabling array accelerator

I would like to disable, for testing purposes, the array accelerator on a E200i controller (ML350 G5) configured with a single 1+0 array (4 disks), but when I try to do it from ACU, I receive a warning message meaning that I could loose the disk's content. This sounds strange....

Does anyone knows if and how I can SAFELY disable the array accelerator without loosing my data?
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: E200i - Disabling array accelerator

Hello,

AFAIK this message mean the content of the write cache, not the content of the logical drives.

Kind regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi fricci,

Patrick is right.
This message is referring to the data of the Battery backed cache only.
It has been tested, no harm would be done to the RAID configuration.
Well said that because RAID information is stored on the Hard Drives not on the Array Controller's Cache.

Happy Testing

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

On the RBSU move the E200i from position 1 to 2/3 or 4!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

why should he do this??

Kind regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
fricci
Advisor

Thank you to all for your replies.
I was out for holidays..... :-)
The problem comes from the warning message that pops out when I try to disable the cache. Usually enabling/disabling or changing the caching algorithm (write through/write back) has no impact on data already stored on the array, then I don't understand the warning message (I don't remember it exactly, but sounds very intimidating about the possibility to loose data).
Although I managed lots of servers/raid controllers, this is the first time I got a similar message from a raid controller.
Obviously I can't accept the risk to loose data, so I need an absolutely "verified" answer....