1753505 Members
4855 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EMULEX BIOS

Jitz
Occasional Advisor

EMULEX BIOS

What is emulex bios in HP Proliant servers, what is the difference between HP BIOS and Emulex BIOS?
5 REPLIES 5
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Which emulex card are you referring to?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Emulex fiber cards like the FC2142SR?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

HP Bios.... I would assume is the server bios... the microcode that ties all of the server's components together.

Emulex Bios.... I would assume you are referring to a fibre channel HBA and as such, each hba has a bios that holds specific settings for the hba. Settings that control various things like... whether to preload the bios in order to be able to Boot-From-SAN.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jitz
Occasional Advisor

So i think Emulex Bios is for fibre channel HBA cards. and we can get in to the Emulex BIOS and make changes to emulex bios settings of fibre channel HBA card, am i ryt?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"So i think Emulex Bios is for fibre channel HBA cards. and we can get in to the Emulex BIOS and make changes to emulex bios settings of fibre channel HBA card, am i ryt?"

Yes. While the server is booting up, you will get a POST message that loads the Emulex BIOS. To enter the utility, you would hit Alt+E (I think, or some similar keystroke. It tells you on the POST message.)

What do you need to do in the Emulex BIOS?

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)