1745833 Members
4271 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

ESXI Disk Peformance

jtek
Occasional Visitor

ESXI Disk Peformance

I am trying to determine slow performance on a customer virtual desktop solution.  There are only 10 VMs.  The HP server is a DL 380 Gen 9 with dual E5-2667 3.20 GHZ procs and 132 GB of ram.  I looked at the CPU and Memory performance using ESXTOP and everything looks good there.  What threw me was the disk performance.  It is running in Raid 6 with 5 900 GB 10K drives.  When I look at any other host the CMDs/s are pretty low.  The CMDs/s on this host running the desktops are showing over 23,000.  ESXI version is 6.0 build 3825889.  Smart Array P440ar Controller running firmware 3.56.

Anyone have any ideas what I should look at?  It just seems the IOPS are crazy high when reading any articles about average IOPS and I think this is the issue for the performance.

I am running a Synology NAS in my office with 20 desktops and the performance is better than this HP box.

Thanks,

J

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: ESXI Disk Peformance

I generally down work with ESXi, but if you search the forums you will find several recent entries were other users having the same issue have changed the disk controller driver to get the performance back up to speed

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
jtek
Occasional Visitor

Re: ESXI Disk Peformance

Thanks but after a while I finally got it.  There must be a bug in VMWare Horizon Agent 6.2.2 because the vrealize portion of the install was writting a crazy amount of traffic to the disks.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest agent all on virtual desktops and the IOPS went from 21,000 to basically nothing.  The performance has been a 1000 times better.

Later,

J