1753792 Members
7585 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESXi USB Key Update Failed

Kimik
Frequent Advisor

ESXi USB Key Update Failed

We've bought some 380G5's with 3i USB key preinstalled, however a VMware Update has killed the key and it no longer boots. The "dual bank firmware" feature doesn't work either. Anybody know if the key has a factory reset? Not the ESX rollback to defaults, but some other way to do it offline. Or what's the support status with ESXi - HP or VMWARE to support?

It is this exact issue. Others with HP 380 G5's have the same problem.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1044455

There's no present like time
10 REPLIES 10
Jorgen Stenberg
Occasional Advisor

Hi Kimik,

We are having exactly the same problems on our BL460c. Last friday (081003) we have been informed that HP has a known problem with some of their USB-keys. The USB-keys mentioned is green coloured. HP will have a replacment program for this USB-keys. So maybe you can contact the HP Support to have your Keys replaced if you having green ones.

Regards
Jorgen
Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Yep we have the green Keys. HP sent me a recovery ISO that installed factory ESX 3.5U2 onto them. The downside I didn't have a chance to copy the license key off them beforehand. But as we're enterprise is doesn't matter - the license server fixes it.

VMWARE told me don't use VUM for OEM Keys, and HP told me to use VUM !

Jannie Hanekom
Advisor

Had the same problem. The green keys are definitely problematic. In our case the actual flash memory itself seems to be defective, it's as if portions had become "read-only". We were not even able to re-image it using the ESXi recovery CD.

HP have published an advisory on this on 13 November: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01605187

If you have a key with a green aliminium casing, you can have it replaced by logging a standard warranty call with your HP support provider.
jerome7

Hello

Have you got an answer for your question ?
To update Esxi on flash drives, We have to use VUM ? or something else ?

Thanks
Jannie Hanekom
Advisor

I've been using VMware Update Manager successfully since day 1 to update my HP OEM ESXi USB keys.
Anghel Cosmin
Advisor

hello ... i have the same problem but can't seem to contact hp to send me the recovery iso ... how did you do it ... please help ... i'm desperate
Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Kimik
Frequent Advisor

Oh sorry that's already posted..

Um, the URL I was given to get the ISO is no longer available.

Anghel Cosmin
Advisor

unfortunately i read that but tehnical support from romania doesn't seem to care :( ... or we don't have support for proliants ... anyway ... i am asked if the server has software support.
this is a known issue and i don't know if i need software support for this :( ... do you have any ideea about this?