108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Easiest and best way of remotley monitoring HP Proliant Servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
gcb123
Occasional Advisor

Easiest and best way of remotley monitoring HP Proliant Servers

Hi, I am trying to find a way (free of charge) that I can actively monitor our HP Proliant servers that we have at many of our remote sites, I am not looking for vast amounts of data by I understand that these server are already setup for WMI so how can I have this data emailed through to me, for example, if a disk fails in an array I would like to be emailed about it, many of our servers are MS-Windows based but we do have some VMware ESXi servers also.

I do remember receiving a call from HP over a year ago about a software product that HP could help me setup which would automatically monitor and order parts from HP in the event of a failure but sadly at the time I was to busy to be able to spare the time.

Many thanks in advance.

Gary

4 REPLIES 4
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Free tool called IRS 7 (Insight Remote Support) can monitor remote machines and alert to changes in FRUs.

Can also be linked with your support contracts and such so when a drive fails, HP is automatically notified and they will either call you or email you to confirm where to send replacement drive.

SIM is the other free Mgmt tool that HP offers for Proiant customers. Takes a bit more work to manage it and keep it healthy though.
There is also a plugin that connects your IRS7 with SIM so SIM can show you status of Contract/Warranty on each server.
gcb123
Occasional Advisor

Hi Casper

Are there any FAQs on how to set this up I wonder? Will this email alerts to me on things such as drive failure? I also wonder if there is something that can be used for VMware hosts?

Many Thanks

Gary

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Go to

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/solutions/info-library/index.aspx?cat=HP_Insight_Remote_Support#.Undbm-J_iHw

and select

HP Insight Remote Support 7.0.8

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
gcb123
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for this Torsten, I have managed to get it up and running at one site where we have two HP Proliant ML 350 G6's, it sees the server that I have installed in on however, the other HP server that it has found it says it is not enabled for monitoring? Is there a way I can quickly sort this out I do I have to install the full product on that server as well?

I have also linked the server to my HP ID but I am unable to find whereabouts this server is registered, any ideas?

Thanks

Gary