1748173 Members
4359 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Email notification - possible?

Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

Email notification - possible?

We have a number of ProLiant servers in our organisation. I have been hunting around for the last few weeks to try and find some utilities/tools that will monitor the servers, and send email notifications when the servers have problems. The main notifications I need is when there are problems with the hard disks, RAID problems, etc.

I have downloaded a few different packages from the HP site, but can't seem to find one that will do email notification. The packages I downloaded are: ProLiant Support Pack and Insight Manager.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
16 REPLIES 16
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Email notification - possible?

Justin:

Insight Manager along with Server Management agents should be able to produce the e-mails that you are looking for.

I have not configured e-mail notification in this manner in a long while so things may have changed ab it, but remember being able to do it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

When I attempt to install Insight Manager 7 SP 2.3, it tells me that the install can't complete because I don't have snmp installed. How do I install/enable snmp?

The server is a ProLiant DL380.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Uou can post it on mangement software thread. Where email notification i am not sure it is possible with insight manager but it can collect any type or error messages centrally from server in a group.

where in insight manager you there was option to send messages. Please get back to same thread they can confirm you about the same.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

I got the SNMP windows service installed, then proceeded to install Insight Manager, then it claimed to need an SQL database to work.

Surely there is a less complicated application that can be installed that can monitor hardware and send email notifications?
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Justin,

Insight Manager 7 is end-of-life. Get yourself Systems Insight Manager 5.0 (it's also free to download from HP). You will need a database server - either SQL or the MSDE (basically a slimline SQL) that comes with SIM. You need the SNMP service and Insight Agents on all monitored servers.

Regards,
Stephen
Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

So Insight Manager goes onto one server, and that server monitors all other ProLiant servers that have the Insight Agents installed on them?
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If you have a small amount of servers requiring email notification, then you can use the Event Notifier, which is installed with the agents. Go under HP Management Agents in the start menu and select "Event Notifier Config". Once you do this you can walk through configuring email notification. This will need to be done on each server you need email notification from. If you want central monitoring and have the monitoring utility send emails, then you'll need Systems Insight Manager.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Justin_128
Occasional Advisor

Where do I get these agents from?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Get the ProLiant Support Pack from http://www.hp.com/servers/swdrivers