cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded NIC and SCSI support

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Embedded NIC and SCSI support

I have recently reused one of our old servers which previously ran Novell 4.11. I ran FDISK and installed the latest Compaq Smartstart CD, and specified "manual" and "Linux" OS. It installed its non-dos partition and software, but when I installed my Linux distribution, I couldn't get the embedded NIC to work nor can I use the Embedded SCSI controller (I didn't see them listed in the Hardware installation stage of my install. I've installed the OS anyway and I'm using an Adaptec SCSI card in the interum, and have no NIC working at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Embedded NIC and SCSI support

The Prosignia 300 is not certified for the Linux OS. The required drivers do not ship with the OS. The Prosignia 300/500 models are using an intergrated AMD PCI SCSI and Ethernet controller. See the AMD web site for the Linux drivers that are available for this chip set at this web address.
A NIC driver for the Linux OS is available.
http://www.amd.com/products/npd/software/pcnet_family/drivers.html
Keep using the Adaptec SCSI controller. No need to reinstall the OS.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Embedded NIC and SCSI support

I beg to differ on the SCSI info. I have found that the embedded SCSI adapter in the Prosignia 300 is based on the LSI Logic 53C8xx family of SCSI controllers. As it turns out, the DOS driver I have works for the Prosignia 300 and 740. The best place to find drivers is at the LSI Logic web site.