108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Enabling RAID5 on B120i in ML310e Gen8 v2

SOLVED
Go to solution
BananaJack
Occasional Advisor

Enabling RAID5 on B120i in ML310e Gen8 v2

I bought a ProLiant ML310e Gen8 v2 E3-1240v3 server (712328-031) and 4 x 4TB HDD (693687-B21). However, it seems that in order to enable RAID 5 support, a Flash-Based Write Cache module is needed.

So in accordance with the "Related Options" section in the Quickspecs for the on-board B120i controller, I bought a 512MB FBWC (631922-B21). However, there appears to be no socket on the motherboard to insert the FBWC card into. The instructions show only the card's battery module attaching to a PCIe controller. Am I missing something?

Can someone please enlighten me as to how to enable RAID 5 support on this machine? Did I buy the wrong FBWC? Is the only solution to buy a PCIe Array Controller instead of using the on-board B120i? To avoid changing the drives I would need one with SATA support but all the controllers I found are SAS only. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Glenn

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk Array to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL).
-HP Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
StorageMike
HPE Pro

Hi Glenn

Looking a the QuickSpecs for the server it's self it doesn't look it supports anything other RAID 0/1/10.  The specs do list compatible P Series Controllers which can be added to PCIe Slot 3, Slot 4 or both.  These should support RAID 5 with the correct amount of memory.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

StorageMike
HPE Pro

Sorry meant to include the link to the to the quickspecs, it lists the compatible controller cards as well

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14564_div/14564_div.pdf

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

BananaJack
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike - thanks for the prompt and very useful reply! So that's my mistake for referring to the array Quickspecs rather than the Proliant Quickspecs. And I saw on page 10, "Optional 512MB Flash Backed Write Cache (FBWC)" and failed to notice that the ML310e was missing from the server compatibility list.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14343_div/14343_div.pdf

Anyway can you just confirm please that no compatible P-series (or any other) controller is available that offers SATA support? I don't really want to have to change the disks. In that case I guess that SATA RAID 5 isn't possible under any circumstances on the ML310e G8 v2 ?

Thanks

Glenn

StorageMike
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Glenn

I would have to agree, looking at the quickspecs for each of the cards it doesn't look like they support SATA drives apart from in the Gen8 (Proliant I assume) Servers.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

chrissrvman
Occasional Visitor

Hi all, I had the same problem and it's easy to solve:

The listed SAS controllers DO support SATA as well - SATA drives can be used on SAS controllers (but not the other way round). The cables should match too.

Chris

BananaJack
Occasional Advisor

In the end, to get RAID5 functionality on my ML310e Gen8 v2 I gave up on the on-board B120i and installed a P420i PCI card with FBWC.

This allowed me to do an online transformation of my 4 x 10TB disk RAID10 array to RAID5 (to increase available capacity by 50%), although it looks like it will take about 6 days to complete!