Did you mean: 

Enabling SSP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sally Rowley
Occasional Visitor

Enabling SSP

Does anyone know how to enable SSP???

I want to configure SSP on a MSA500 connected to 2 DL380 servers so DLServer1 will only access ArrayA and DLServer2 will only access ArrayB.

I've found where to enable SSP in the ACU, but i'm not sure which adapter ID is Local/Online and which is Remote/Online.

ArrayA has live data and I'd rather not loose it!!
6 REPLIES
Doug de Werd
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Enabling SSP

The "local" adapter is the one in the server that you are using to access the ACU (and therefore SSP). All adapters in other servers will be considered "remote".

You should be able to use a simple process of elimination to determine this. However, if you get confused, you can always power off one of the servers - when you run ACU from the other server, any other non-local adapters will appear as "remote" or will not appear at all.

Hope this helps,
Doug
Expert in ProLiant Clusters
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Sally,

If you are using the approved HP Fibre Channel adapters for Windows NT/2000/2003 these are based on the Emulex Light Pulse (LP) cards. These are HP FCA2101, FCA2404 etc. models.

You can use the Emulex LPUtilNT tool to determine the WWID of the installed cards in each server by running the utility online. Then you can match this up with the SSP entries and know which is which.

LPUtilNT (Supported by HP)
--------------------------
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_US〈=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=341793&prodSeriesId=341791&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=COL4745&locBasepartNum=co-16530-1&os=Microsoft+Windows+2000&tech=Utility++FC+HBA

I hope this helps.

Brian
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Brian, your info is for Fibrechannel adapters and MSA1000/1500. Sally has an MSA500 (SCSI), so LPUTILNT will not help. Doug's info seems accurate.
Sally Rowley
Occasional Visitor

I've managed to identify which ID belongs to which 642 controller and i've worked through the SSP wizard, but when it came to save the changes i whimped out!!

Is there anything i should be wary of as i'm doing this on a live Domino Mail system and i'm concerned i'll loose everything when i enable the SSP.

the over-all goal is to have 2 standalone DL380G3 servers, connected to 2 Arrays, but not to share the data on the arrays and have Domino do the clustering/fail-over.

For Infor :- the kit we've got is 2 x DL380G3 servers, 2 x MSA500 642 Controllers (HP product code - 218525-B21) and 8 physical disks divided into 2 RAID 5 arrays.

You've probably worked out i've not got much of a glue when it comes to hardware, so all your help is much appriciated

Thanks,
Sally
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hello,

changing SSP will not delete any arrays, and saving the changes should not interrupt your application. But if you want to be on the safe side, wait until you have your next maintenance window and stop the application before applying the SSP configuration. Then when you have finished with ACU, restart your application.
As always, make sure you have a working backup before implementing such changes.

Regards,
Stephen
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Sally,

OOPS....I forgot that MSA500 was a SCSI only product. I was thinking of the MSA1000 as I had just set up SSP on Saturday at a site.

Apologies for the confusion with the Fibre-Channel adapters which you obviously don't have installed.

Brian